Shoulder pain is one of the most common complaints we treat at Eramosa Physiotherapy Associates through our Path to Improved Health.Shoulder pain is one of the most common complaints we treat at Eramosa Physiotherapy Associates through our Path to Improved Health.
Shoulder pain can be as minimal as a quick intermittent pain that is often described as a ‘sharp catch’, but can progress to a more constant dull ache down the arm. Commonly, shoulder pain can result in aching that disrupts sleeping postures and results in restless sleeps and increased pain at night.
Problems in the shoulder can occur with everyday wear and tear, overuse or an isolated injury. While there are many causes of shoulder pain, it is important to have an accurate diagnosis so that the appropriate treatment is implemented.
Common medical diagnoses for shoulder pain include:
- Rotator cuff tendonitis Learn More
- Rotator cuff tear Learn More
- Impingement syndrome Learn More
- Frozen shoulder Learn More
- Shoulder dislocations and shoulder separations Learn More
Common causes of shoulder pain:
Shoulder pain can be a result of:
- weakness of the rotator cuff and shoulder muscles
- weakness of the shoulder blade muscles
- a stiff shoulder joint
- imbalances between shoulder muscle groups that results in poor arm and shoulder blade movement
- poor posture, such as an increased rounding of the shoulder blades
- trauma, such as a fall, involving the arm
- shoulder surgery
- bursitis shoulder
Treatment to Improve Your Health?
Through our Path To Improved Health, we address the causes of shoulder pain using treatments such as:
- hands-on therapy or mobilization
- specific strengthening and postural retraining exercises
- education on avoiding inappropriate and provoking positions
- modalities such as acupuncture, TENS or taping for pain control, and ultrasound to improve the speed of tissue healing time