The incidence of sport-related concussion alone in Canada is estimated at 30,000 per year. When athletes suffer a concussion it can be a difficult experience. In order to successfully manage concussions, the athletes, coaches and medical professionals involved require specific knowledge, expertise and the use of the most up to date medical assessments.
As parents of athletes, you want can be reassured that the Health and Performance Centre and Eramosa Physiotherapy Associates’ approach to concussion management follows Canadian recommendations under a medical model. We work closely with our in house sport physicians, in addition to many guelph Family Doctors.
The Health and Performance Centre in partnership with a number of community sports organisations, has developed a comprehensive program backed by the latest research to ensure safe and effective pre and post-concussion management.
Our Comprehensive Concussion Management includes:
- Helps to establish a baseline level on a number of physical and cognitive tests
- ImPACT Neurocognitive testing (Used by CFL and OHL teams) establishes a baseline for measures of brain function such as memory, reaction time, and problem solving.
- Balance, coordination, and agility assessment
- Detailed Symptom Assessment
- Thorough Interview regarding past concussions or potential head injuries
- A physiotherapist driven full upper body scan including strength, sensation, reflexes, and range of motion
- A comprehensive baseline test gives an accurate comparison of measures that can be retested if you should ever sustain a concussion, in order to map your level of recovery and guide return to play decisions.
- Includes a full re-test comparing against Baseline Data (when available).
- Full physiotherapy assessment of post-concussive symptoms.
- Physiotherapy management of related injuries such as whiplash, which can cause prolonged headaches and other symptoms similar to post-concussive symptoms
- Patient education on safe return to play decisions, and managing your concussion at school, work, and exercise
- Off-site access to Skating Treadmill or On-Ice Physiotherapy for return to play testing, and sub-symptom threshold exercise training
- Ongoing communication with family physicians and specialists